Support Forums

The forums are closed and will be removed when we launch our new site.

Looking for support? You can access the support system via your account.

Forums Forums General Split: Brings Whole Site Down

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 33 total)
  • Kris Simpson

[ split fromhttps://support.searchandfilter.com/forums/topic/brings-whole-site-down/page/2/ ]
    Hey Gents, having what sounds like the same issue here, since 4/11 at ~5pm EST (NY Time).
    Every 0.5-5 mins the server loses DB connectivity while mysql reboots, 30s later we’re good for who knows how long.

Appreciate Trevor’s response about the SQL server crashing and that is exactly what I’m seeing on this end, but this goes away completely when the plugin is deactivated (still appreciate that could be a load issue etc, chicken/egg scenario).

We’re running 2.4.6 on WP 5.5.3 so also appreciate it could be a versioning fix – any suggestions?

Kris Simpson

Edit to the above, have renewed and updated plugin with same result, will continue to work through the above recommendations in the mean time

Ross Moderator

Hey Kris

Thanks for updating with the info.

It sounds like you are going through the same motions.

Is it possible to duplicate the site on a staging / devs server to test on?

Ross Moderator

To both of you, can you check, what is the setting you have for Caching Speed in the main S&F settings page?

Ensure that is set to slow… and if you’ve never used this page before, press “save” to save the settings.

The only idea I’ve got right now is, you’ve both recently upgraded from old versions.

So its possible (I could be wrong), somewhere a setting controlling how aggressive our caching building process is, has not been saved on your setup – and didn’t have sensible defaults.

Anyway, if you could ensure that setting has been changed ( + what it was set to previously) and let me know the results?

Thanks

Kris Simpson

Hi Ross,

Only just upgraded to the latest version after experiencing the issue as a troubleshooting effort, otherwise we’d probably still be on the older version.

Caching speed was set to fast, have changed to slow, and I have now also enabled transients – crashing continues (9 times in the last 30mins).

I have not yet *unpublished* the filters and rebuilt as even with the intermittent outages, the site is operational for now and targeting daytime in Aus is better for load.

I should add, and forgot to before, that if I put the site in maintenance mode my problems go away, granted I haven’t tried a user type browsing in maintenance mode, as I’ve been focussed on scans and other areas until narrowing down to the plugin today, but if it were a caching issue that would likely continue in maintenance mode, right?

Finally, we do have a dev environment but unfortunately it’s also on the same box so it makes it hard to diagnose this issue, I’m in the process of downloading a local backup of the site and db and will set it up on my machine to test.

Ross Moderator

Ok great, we should be able to progress,

The main thing here is, to get this issue reproducing somehwere other than your live sites (and disable S&F in the meantime).

So please do let me know when you’ve tested elsewhere (and if I can get access).

The second thing we can try is looking through error logs.

So if you can, enable WP_DEBUG, and WP_DEBUG_LOG:
    https://codex.wordpress.org/WP_DEBUG#WP_DEBUG_LOG

And share the error logs with me (usually created in wp-content/debug.log)

Also, contact your host, and ask for the hosting level error logs to see if we can match this up.

I don’t think its a simple case of too much resource, because the “slow” setting, only builds 10 posts at once, which should be able to be handled in even low resource settings….

Another question for both of you, how many posts are we trying to cache? upto < 10k I think should be fine, if we are talking 30k or more things might get more difficult. Thanks

Kris Simpson
    This reply has been marked as private.
    Ross Moderator
    Kris Simpson
    Ross Moderator
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 33 total)

The forum ‘General’ is closed to new topics and replies.