Support Forums

Looking for support? You can access the support system via your account.

Forums Forums Search & Filter Pro Return only child pages as results

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Nicholas

Hello,

Sorry I’m not sure if this was asked somewhere else but going through the PRO plugin I can’t seem to find something that will work.

Is it possible to have the search results restricted to the child pages of the page the search/filter is located on?

So for example if I have pages that are:
    Store1
    – Product1
    – Product2
    Store2
    – Product3

And the search/filters are located on the “Store#” pages.

What I need is to have the search/filter for “Store1” only return “Product1” and “Product2”. Whereas “Store2” should only return “Product3”.

I hope that makes sense. Is that possible currently? Or perhaps do you know a workaround I can use? I’m in need of this functionality pretty soon unfortunately. :/

Sorry for the hassle and thank you for your help! Great plugin btw!

Nicholas

Ross Moderator

Hey Nicholas

The only way I see it (potentially) working is if you create a separate search form for each store.

If products are all of the same post type (product) – then what you would likely need to do is add all products in store 1 to say a category called “store 1”, and then the same for store 2, adding all the products to category “store 2”..

Then in the settings box for each form, head to “tags, categories and taxonomies” and choose “include” and select teh relevant category.

It would probably be even better to create a custom taxonomy called “stores” and do it that way, so its not interfering with your regular categories.

Just to let you know our support offices are now closed until next week – check the post at the top of the forums for more info.

Thanks

Nicholas

Hi Ross,

Yea it seems like a separate taxonomy would be best. I didn’t want to create too many of them but it seems I don’t have a choice.

While I’m here, I have another question. Is it possible to create a filter that already contains a fixed value? But without creating a new filter for each possibility?

Here is what I’m working with:
    School pages: Contain tags for “Location” and “Degree”s offered.
    I also have career pages where I want to have a filter where the user can choose their location but the degree value is preset for the specific page they are on.
    I could do this by creating a separate filter for each degree (would have around 35 to make) but I want to know if I can avoid creating 35 filters.

What would be nice is if I can make a filter that only has a dropdown to filter by “Location” and then I can add taxonomy information through the shortcode. For example: [searchandfilter id=”9999″ Degree=”Engineering”] So the user can change the “Location” value but the “Degree” is fixed.

Any thoughts on this? Maybe there’s another method that would work better?

Thank you for your time and help!

Ross Moderator

Hey Nicholas

This is a feature I’m working on – so S&F detects if the current page has any tag/category/taxonomy selection, and if so – it pre-fills the form to these variable so when a user presses “search” they are searching in the current category for example.

Thanks

Nicholas

Hi Ross,

Ah okay cool! So I’m guessing if the page has multiple of those selected, there would be some way to exclude certain ones from the search?

Keep up the awesome work!

fonso

Hi Ross,

Looking forward to that taxonomy detection feature!

Nice plugin BTW 🙂

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.