Support Forums

Looking for support? You can access the support system via your account.

Forums Forums Search & Filter Pro multi level filter

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • adi yagil

Hi, I’d like to know how I can create something like this:
    https://www.screencast.com/t/ShkBtOFdY7v

First level – dropdown with categories
    Second level – filter bar with child categories of the selected category (from the dropdown)

Thanks

Trevor Moderator

You need to separate out groups, branches or parent/child tags into separate custom taxonomies. In the case of your form, this means you plan to use tags three times, so you really need a new taxonomy for the children (Capacity, Region and Venue Style).

In general, you can use a particular Taxonomy, such as Category, (or Tags, each Taxonomy and each Custom Field) only once in the form. This post tries to explain this a bit better (you can use a plugin to switch category terms from category to any new taxonomy that you make, so it is not so hard to do). It is a really awful preachy lecture I wrote:

https://support.searchandfilter.com/forums/topic/multiple-categories-combination/#post-55166

Sorry about the tone, but the message is right and it links to good plugins (except taxonomy switcher I think).

Taxonomy switcher is a ‘use once and remove’ type of plugin, and it uses ‘hidden’ features in WordPress that have not changed for about 2 years.

Let us say that you have Categories (as WordPress calls them) on some posts, and some of them are fruit types. For example, Apple. Now you decide to have a separate taxonomy called Fruit Type. You may have hundreds of posts with those fruit types already in Categories, and don’t want to retype them all again. Let us say the the Apple ‘term’ has an ID # of 234 (they all have ID numbers). You tell Taxonomy Switcher to move the term 234 from Categories to Fruit Types, and it does all the work for you. You can do a whole bunch of IDs at once, all you need is their ID numbers.

IF you went in to one of our forms in admin, to the Tags, Categories & Taxonomies settings tab, find the line for Categories (in this case) and use the search to ‘add’ all the ones you want to move, then you will see in the settings box all the ID numbers you need to be able to do this. So, cut them from that box and paste them in to Taxonomy Switcher.

Be wary if you have child terms though (those which have a parent), as the parent may have to be moved also, or you may need to re-define the children as parents instead before you move them.

adi yagil

Hi Trevor and thanks for your detailed reply:)

I’m familiar with custom post UI but I’m afraid it’s not applicable to the site I’m working on now. You see, in my case, all of the posts (over 200) have been migrated from Blogger into WP and already contain a certain structure.
    If I were to create a new site (with no posts yet) I would have used the structure you recommended but it’s just not the case.

So I guess I’m stuck now ha?

Trevor Moderator

The Taxonomy Switcher allows you to move taxonomies whilst they still remain attached to posts.

adi yagil

OK but the taxonomy switcher is a very old plugin…do you think it’s recommended?

Trevor Moderator

Yes, despite its age, nothing has changed in that part of WordPress for many years, so it has not needed a change. You use the plugin, then once OK with the changes, you remove the plugin, so it is not kept on the site. It is a temporary tool only.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.