Support Forums

Looking for support? You can access the support system via your account.

Forums Forums Search & Filter Pro Load More ajax functionality stopped working after updating plugin.

Tagged: ,

Viewing 8 posts - 11 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Tricia Francis
    This reply has been marked as private.
    Ross Moderator
    Tricia Francis

Well actually…. I added those settings back to custom fields and then set back to using the shortcode method. If I update the plugin, those field will no longer be used. And what you’re saying totally makes sense, so I understand why.

I guess this means I need to completely switch to the custom method? I’ve used this method in the past, before embracing g-blocks. How do I do that without a custom page template, so that the client can add blocks above and / or below the filter and grid views?

Ross Moderator

Hi Tricia

Actually, for things like that, I like to create shorcodes, it can be quite simple:
    https://wordpress.stackexchange.com/a/213706/37783

So using that, and combining it with a WP_Query:
    https://searchandfilter.com/documentation/search-results/custom/#wp-query

You would get something like:

function get_search_search_results($atts) {
    	ob_start();
    	$args = array(
    		'post_type'        => 'post',
    		'search_filter_id' => 123,
    	);
    	$query = new WP_Query($args);
    	// now you can loop through the results just like in results.php -
    	// and maybe load a template, or any other PHP file - eg - get_template_part( 'my-loop' );
    	// in between 'ob_start' and 'ob_get_clean' you can do stuff like "echo" as normal
    	return ob_get_clean();
    }
    add_shortcode( 'my-search-results', 'get_search_search_results');

And you can use that loop / template anywhere via – [my-search-results]

Let me know how you get on and if all is clear above!

Best

Tricia Francis

Thanks Ross. I’ve been stewing on this and my thinking was kinda moving that direction, but I hadn’t quite made it to a shortcode within a shortcode. I think this should work!

Thanks again!

Ross Moderator

No worries…

To be honest I’m thinking we shouldn’t have changed this feature as we’ll be moving to v3 in not too long which has a lot of differences in terms of setup anyway.

If you get stuck just give me a shout.

Tricia Francis

I was able to go the custom route, apply fixes to the live site and update – so all good for now. But I did notice something that I wanted to share with you, as it may be relevant.

I use your plugin a LOT – in most cases, we’ve used archive views and/or the custom method to implement. But I do have a few other sites that I used the shortcode method in. I’m noticing the ones that are querying custom post types and taxonomies need this fix. I have one that queries regular posts, and it did NOT break with the update. So this issue may be for CPTs and/or custom taxonomies only? Hope this helps.

Thanks again for all your help in getting me lined out. 🙂

Ross Moderator
Viewing 8 posts - 11 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.