Support Forums

Looking for support? You can access the support system via your account.

Forums Forums Search & Filter Pro Hierarchy Question

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 21 total)
  • James Brown

Not sure if this is about hierarchy or not. I have a site that has reference materials for yoga teachers. I want to filter posts, which are each about a pose, according to the position of each major joint. So I want the first dropdown to be joint name, and that works great. But then I want the next dropdown to only contain the child categories for whichever joint they chose in the first dropdown. I have tried different settings for the 1st and 2nd dropdowns but they are not getting me the results I want.

You helped me with another problem earlier and I sent you login details, which are still active. The site is https://www.myyogapractice.com/ and the search is on the bottom right of each page.

James Brown

DO I need to use custom taxonomies instead of categories to do this? I only have a few of these posts now but I will have 75 of them once I figure out how to have this filter work. It is not too late for me to do the existing ones in a totally different way if that is what is necessary.

Trevor Moderator

You will indeed need two custom taxonomies. Have we discussed this before? You can keep/re-use what you have, most likely. See this post:

https://support.searchandfilter.com/forums/topic/elementor-filter-not-working-showing-all-results/#post-221562

James Brown

Hey, thanks for the info. We have now discussed this before. I am very new to custom taxonomy. I have converted the yoga pose posts to a custom post type called “asana”. I have created two custom taxonomies called “Joint Position” and “Joint Name”. Now I am stuck because I don’t know how to add all the joint names and positions under those two taxonomies. Can you direct me to a tutorial or tell me what to do? I would most like to switch my existing categories to custom taxonomies but I am not finding any tutorials on that either. And you don’t recommend using Taxonomy Switcher, which all the info out there seems to point toward. Can you give me some advise on what to do? Thank you.

James Brown

Now it seems that when I converted the posts to the custom post type Asana, all of the categories became detached from them. If that is true, I suppose my best bet is to manually attach the new taxomonies as applicable to each custom post on the post edit page ?

James Brown

And how do I set this up so that when I filter for a particular joint name, then for joint position, it only shows the positions for that joint? I understood your previous reply to the other user to say that one should not make these hierarchical. DO I make the joint position taxonomy label something like “joint name, joint position”. How did you make it in your demo video, so that you filter for movie genre, then star, for example. I need to do the same thing.

Trevor Moderator
    This reply has been marked as private.
    James Brown
    Trevor Moderator
    James Brown
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.