Support Forums

Looking for support? You can access the support system via your account.

Forums Forums Search & Filter Pro Filter search by Category and Sub Category

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Jerry Hepperle

I wish to search pages and posts by Category in the first dropdown, then Sub Categories of that category in second dropdown. For example if I arranged my posts as such

Categories
    ARCH
    doric (sub cat)
    MATH
    Caculus (sub cat)

I would select drop down one and ARCH, then dropdown two would display ONLY Doric, I would select that and then submit form and results would be all pages or posts within doric sub cat of ARCH.

Trevor Moderator

Hi Jerry

You can use Category (or Tags, each Taxonomy and each Custom Field) only once in the form. You would need to make additional taxonomies. This post tries to explain this a bit better (you can use a plugin to switch category terms from media-category to any new taxonomy that you make, so it is not so hard to do). It is a really awful preachy lecture I wrote:

https://support.searchandfilter.com/forums/topic/multiple-categories-combination/#post-55166

Sorry about the tone, but the message is right and it links to good plugins (except taxonomy switcher I think). If I missed anything (I probably did, my apologies), follow up and nudge me.

Jerry Hepperle
    This reply has been marked as private.
    Trevor Moderator

Ah. OK. I think I get it. Three conditions are necessary for this to work as I think you wish.

Firstly, the Classes and the Subjects need to be in separate taxonomies (category and tag are special taxonomies that WordPress defines associated with normal (core) posts). They must not be parent/child lists inside a single taxonomy.

Then the other two conditions are that on the General settings tab, both Auto Count settings are ‘ON’, AND

In each form field, the ‘Hide empty’ settings are ‘ON’

As choices are made, this then causes the lists to be auto filtered.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.