Support Forums

Looking for support? You can access the support system via your account.

Forums Forums General Do I need Custom Post Type UI Extended for New Post Types and Taxonomies?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Gary Berger

I purchased Search and Filter Pro.
    I am now writing new fields (e.g. Post Types and Taxonomies)
    My intention is to build a Filter using four lists.

I downloaded the free plug-in “Custom Post Type UI” as suggested by support but the free plugin does not allow me to label and/or assign posts to these new fields.

There is a premium plugin version called “Custom Post Type UI Extended” that claims to fixthis problem but I’m unsure if this app also serves as a filter like your app.

Please clarify if I need to buy the extended plugin and if not how can i see and assign new post types and taxinomies and implement them with your plugin?

Thank you

Trevor Moderator

Hi Gary

We may be in different timezones. You are using terminology in a way that is confusing and this makes it difficult to fully understand what you want to achieve. I highly doubt that you need the extended version of CPT UI

CPT UI allows you to make Custom Post Types and Custom Taxonomies for these CPTs, as well as the ability to make Custom Taxonomies for existing Post Types.

Post Types and Taxonomies are NOT fields.

If you wish to add fields to Post Types and CPTs, you would need ACF (Advanced Custom Fields). WordPress handles these Post Types/Taxonomies/Fields in different ways, so it is important that you get the structure right at the outset (although some plugins exists to move stuff around a bit).

If you could better describe what you are trying to do, I could better advise you. You may find it easier to do this in a voice conversation, and if so, I can Skype with you if you wish.

Gary Berger

I just purchased Search and Filter Pro and was reading the instructional support documentation concerning “Adding New Fields > Creating More Fields > Creating New Taxonomies” http://www.designsandcode.com/documentation/search-filter-pro/getting-started/adding-new-fields/

The page paragraph reads:
    “The easiest way to add new taxonomies to your site is to use a plugin – one that we use regularly is CPT UI which amongst other things allows you to create custom taxonomies easily for any post type in your environment.”

I downloaded the plugin “Custom Post Type UI” so that I could create new post types and taxonomies, however this plugin does not allow me assign existing or new posts to any of these new classifications or view them. Apparently there is an upgrade plugin called “Custom Post Type UI Extended” that displays these new categories on wordpress however your instruction page makes no mention of this requirement or limitation of Custom Post Type UI.

Ultimately my goal is to have 4 groups (e.g. taxonomies) of data utilizing a search filter similar to your Movie Review Demo. Here is my proposed structure.

Post Type: Videos
    Taxonomy #1 – Talent – various athletes by name
    Taxonomy #2 – Division – one of two possibilities
    Taxonomy #3 – Positions of Control
    Taxonomy #4 – Manueuvers

I have two problems:
    1) I can’t assign new or existing posts to a particular taxonomy.
    2) I do not understand how you assign data (subcategories, titles, names etc.) to taxinomies similar to how you have data displayed in drop down under “Genres” on your movie demo site.

The video tutorial is very helpful but the process of assigning and/or classifying posts into types, taxonomies, tags etc so that they display in the examples you have given is not clear.

Thank you

Trevor Moderator

Gary, you sound very frustrated. All this terminology is getting to you. I really suggest a voice call on Skype and I am sure I can get you sorted.

Gary Berger
    This reply has been marked as private.
    Trevor Moderator

Hi Gary

I just did a search for that name on Skype and there are a gazillion of results 🙁

Which town/city are you in?

Trevor Moderator
    This reply has been marked as private.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Do I need Custom Post Type UI Extended for New Post Types and Taxonomies?’ is closed to new replies.