Support Forums

Looking for support? You can access the support system via your account.

Forums Forums Search & Filter Pro Baffled – post_title search seemingly not working

Tagged: 

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Escape2ski

Hi! I’m returning to Search & Filter after some time has passed since I originally set it up for my client, so this all may just be due to my rusty brain… but I’m running into a brick wall doing something that I’d hoped would be fairly simple. Hope you can help.

Here’s my overall goal: I’m trying to set up a search page that will bring up results from my client’s posts (each of which is a travel-resort review with various metafields of related info). I want each of the results to show the title (which is the name of the resort), plus its nearby airports.

I’ve built a new search form and am running into a problem right away. I’ve added only a single field in the Search Form UI, a Post Meta field searching the post_title . I also made it a combobox.

However, on the search form itself, the box never auto-fills with any text, and if I type in a known title (or small fragment of one), I simply get all the posts back as my search results, not only the one I specified. In other words, it’s not working.

Can you advise what I’m doing wrong?

Thanks!
    Adam

Trevor Moderator

I would need to see the form in action in the first. Do you have a URL? You ca use Private reply. It will be tomorrow before I reply, as it is very late here.

Escape2ski
    This reply has been marked as private.
    Trevor Moderator

Something is not right here. When I look at your search form, and edit the Post Meta that you used, I see all the post related keys, like author etc. They should not be there. I have never seen them in this dropdown before.

The only way that S&F can search titles is if you have Relevanssi installed, support for Relevanssi enabled in S&F, and use a textual search box.

If you want a dropdown on the form, you need to have something like ACF installed, and enter the resort on each post.

Escape2ski

Hi Trevor! Thanks for the reply – I didn’t seem to receive an email notice of your reply on June 15 so only saw it today.

I’ve installed Relevanssi and checked the Relevanssi checkbox on my form, but still getting the same issue, I’m afraid.

For custom fields, I’m using something similar to ACF, called Piklist:

https://piklist.com

Just to be clear (forgive my density!), are you saying I have to enter the resort title as its own custom field, and search that with S&F(with Relevanssi support enabled and presumably, its index updated)? I.E. I can’t search the standard post_title? If so, that’s what I’ll do…

Thanks!

Trevor Moderator

Hi

This is a few days old, so I am only vaguely recalling what I found when I looked, but something is not right (as in might be broken). The meta field tool on the S&F form setup shows meta data fields that it should NOT, such as the title field, and other standard fields.

S&F is not designed to search the title field as a select box. So, something is really not right about the install, and as such I am uncertain as to what is going on and what has caused it. I do not know if our plugin has been tested with Piklist. I would assume that it has. So, in the form builder UI, in the meta dropdown to pick the meta key, you will a series of fields called post_xxxxx. THEY SHOULD NOT BE THERE. You need to figure out what is making them appear. Maybe that is Piklist.

And yes, if Relevanssi is installed, correctly setup and the index has been built, and enabled in S&F, the textual search should find the title.

If you want the title has a drop down in the form, then yes you will need to create a custom field to enter it again into.

Escape2ski

I’ll check with the Piklist folks on whether it might be causing those fields to appear in the list, though this might be one of those dreaded issues that falls “between two stools” with both sides throwing up their hands… yikes!

I see that a regular search field gives the expected results, so I will likely sidestep the issue entirely and just use a regular search box. Not as slick as an autofilling combobox, but it certainly works.

Thanks for your advice so far!

Trevor Moderator

Let me know how you get on. FYI, my preference is to use ACF for custom fields.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.