Support Forums

The forums are closed and will be removed when we launch our new site.

Looking for support? You can access the support system via your account.

Forums Forums Search & Filter Pro Split: Hide Search Results on Page Load

Viewing 8 posts - 11 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Escape2ski

Addendum:

– The “hideSearchResults.js” function and file should really be called “showSearchResults”… my mistake…
    – The error thrown is “Can’t find variable: JQuery”.

adam

Escape2ski

Well, after all that, would you believe that when I renamed the file / function, as per my last addendum, the error went away, and the wrapping JQuery statement displays correctly when viewed in my web inspector!

However, the main problem remains: the search results never show up.

Le sigh.

Oh, I meant to mention that I changed the code to specifically reference the exact CSS selector I used to initially hide the search results in my stylesheet. Because using Trevor’s suggested JQuery (in post #3 above) didn’t work… but either way, no search results.

I’ve done as much banging away on this as I can for tonight… I await your wisdom. Thanks!

Escape2ski
    This reply has been marked as private.
    Escape2ski

HI again! So sorry, my client, bless his heart, changed the URL again of the page without telling me. Ah well. The URL is now:

http://escape2ski.com/find-an-airport-close-to-ski-resorts/

However, the problem persists.

In trying to troubleshoot this, I’ve changed the JQuery to be:

jQuery(document).ready(function($) {

$('#search-filter-results-8513').on('sf:ajaxfinish',function(e, x){
       $('#search-filter-results-8513').show();
       $('#search-filter-results-8513').css({"background-color":"red"});
       console.log(e);
       console.log(x);
    });

});

AND removed the initial hiding from the CSS file.

I just want to see if the script can make ANY changes on the page. But the search results do not acquire a red background.

I’ve confirmed that the script is indeed loading, it’s the latest version (being GoDaddy WP hosting, I have to clear their cache first)… but nothing is happening. Kind of at a loss as to how to troubleshoot it, but I do hope you can help.

adam

Escape2ski

Hi again guys. Just to summarize my efforts so far:

– Checked for errors in the console log in my browser’s inspector (no errors)
    – Realized I hadn’t set the search form to use Ajax! I fixed that, and had high hopes that this was the solution, but… still no reaction to my script.
    – Tried loading the script in the footer, not the header, in case it was loading too early. Still no joy.

I realize this is closer to a developer-side issue than a user-support one, but I feel like I’m so very close, or that it’s something I’m just never going to be able to track down without your knowledgable eye. I notice that there’s been no followup at your end but I hope you can devote just a bit more time to this, as it’s a big issue for my client and I feel, rightly or wrongly, that I’ve run out of things to try.

Let me know. Thanks.

Escape2ski

Addendum: since I’d like the results to be visible to my client while I sort this out, I’ve removed the CSS that hides them, and am adding a line to get the jQuery script to do something else noticeable:

jQuery(document).ready(function($) {

$('#search-filter-results-8513').on('sf:ajaxfinish',function(e, x){
       $('#search-filter-results-8513').show();
       $('#search-filter-results-8513').css({"background-color":"red"});
       console.log(e);
       console.log(x);
    });

});
    Escape2ski

It’s solved! Turns out that if I followed the structure given in your FAQ, with a little customization of course… it worked.

What seems to have sent me off track was that the code provided in post #3 above, with the ‘(e, x)’ in it, differed quite a bit from the structure in the FAQ, but I stuck with it. Should have really read the FAQ I guess!

Still unclear on what the purpose of the “(e,x)” stuff is, but I guess for the moment anyway I don’t need to know. Would be good to know how that got into the mix as a suggestion though…. since it does differ from the FAQ… but my bad for not at least trying that FAQ version out.

Thanks!
    adam

Trevor Moderator

What was the final solution? The e and x are the minified jQuery variable names.

Viewing 8 posts - 11 through 18 (of 18 total)

The forum ‘Search & Filter Pro’ is closed to new topics and replies.