Support Forums

The forums are closed and will be removed when we launch our new site.

Looking for support? You can access the support system via your account.

Forums Forums Search & Filter Pro Slow load times in our pages using Search and Filter

Viewing 10 posts - 31 through 40 (of 42 total)
  • brett fielo
    This reply has been marked as private.
    brett fielo

Hey all — just hoping for an update! Thanks!

Ross Moderator
    Ross Moderator

Hi Brett

Ok so I tracked down the cause of your issue.. It was the authors field…

Once I removed this the search pages sped up significantly – I made a page & form for testing –

http://certara.jkstaging.com/resource-library-test-page-sf-8597/

The problem was that there are 2300+ Authors in the Author taxonomy.

Each option in any field causes a certain amount of overhead with S&F, the more field & more options, the overhead multiplies… So the 2300 options in the author field are causing the slow down – usually I would say because of some complicated queries S&F does to figure out the count values (although I realise autocount is off, so I do think the results should still be faster – this needs further research though)

Is it at all possible to leave this field off? Or think of a better approach – I think providing a dropdown list of 2300 options is not great UX anyway..

Just thinking of a better way to implement that kind of field.. I was thinking perhaps having an autocomplete box (where suggestions come up as you type) might do a better job for what you need? ** This is not yet a feature but its high on the to do list

Let me know what you think and if you have any suggestions..

Best

brett fielo

Hi Ross — really appreciate your digging in to this issue. We’re exploring alternative options for now — we are going to push for a removal of the Authors taxonomy for the filters, as a temporary solution. We’re meeting with the client tomorrow — I might have more to report back for you.

For now I’ve only got one question — do you think an autocomplete box would increase performance over a drop-down menu?

Thanks again for your time and effort!

Ross Moderator
    Ross Moderator

Hey Brett

Just reviving this old ticket.

I’ve just emailed you a beta incase you are inteterested, its has tons of speed optimisations so should be much faster.

I do recall though you had a field with many many options, this may still be an issue, but much less of one now.

You will find in the beta, in the main S&F settings menu, an option to store data in transients, enabling this should help load times on your site further.

Thanks

davide notarantonio

Hi, i was following this post beacuse i do have the same problem, is it possible to have the beta too?

Ross Moderator

Done, please let me know if this helps and you see the improvements.

Best

davide notarantonio

Received, thanks, i test it and write if i see changes, thanks!

Viewing 10 posts - 31 through 40 (of 42 total)

The forum ‘Search & Filter Pro’ is closed to new topics and replies.