Support Forums

The forums are closed and will be removed when we launch our new site.

Looking for support? You can access the support system via your account.

Forums Forums Search & Filter Pro No results – complex situation

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 14 total)
  • Alexandru Rusu

Hello,

I use Search&Filter for some custom taxonomies, created with “User Tags” plugin (https://wordpress.org/plugins/user-tags/)

This plugin adds custom USER taxonomies. So the admin can add tags for users.

The taxonomies and the tags are correctly displayed in the search form (also the numbering for each term is correct = the number of users that are assigned a specific tag), but no search results are displayed no matter what I choose in the form.

I tried using both a shortcode in a page and also copying the results.php template from the Search&Filter plugin to the search-filter folder in my theme’s folder.

I use a theme from YITH (Your Inspiration Themes), if that has anything to do with it…

But I think there are 2 issues:

1) The Search&Filter plugin doesn’t include users in its searches.
    I say this based on the choices I can make in the “General” section, when creating a search form. There are only available: Posts, Pages, Media, Products and a few other custom post types my theme added, but no users. 🙁

To clarify something: the users I need to display are not authors, they are vendors (a user role created by another plugin I use, that allows me to create a marketplace environment).

2) It might also be there some problem with the User Tags plugin itself, because this plugin also associates each tag with a template, listing all users that have that tag added in their profile.

Please note that when using the free version of Search&Filter with User Tags search results are displayed, but only for the first field chosen, ignoring the other fields chosen after it (probably because of the way the “User Tags” plugin creates templates for each tag). But at least there were some results displaying.

I really hope we will find a solution for this issue because the search results are very important for our site. Without them correctly displaying, the complex system we have worked to set up and all our efforts in building our site are practically in vain… 🙁

Also, your plugin is very cool and we hope to be able to use it on our site. 🙂

Thank you.

Ross Moderator

Hi Alexandru

You’re right – this plugin does not search users (I don’t think it says anywhere that it does – this plugin is for posts, pages, attachments & custom post types).

The fact that the terms are being picked up is a good sign – but this will only work if the other plugin you are using is storing your users as a custom post type.

In the settings box, under general, do you see under “post types” anything listed that could represent a user?

Thanks

Alexandru Rusu

Hi Ross,

The thing is I tested with the free version first and it kind of worked and I was assuming the functionality included in the free version is also included in the pro.

What I mean by “it kind of worked” is that the Search&Filter free plugin let the User Tags plugin generate its search templates and was showing results, the only problem then was the one I outlined in my note on point 2 in my previous message, but I was trying to solve that issue with the user tags author.

But now I see that the Search&Filter Pro version works very differently…it picks up on the terms because they are from a custom taxonomy, but it doesn’t pick up on the templates dinamically generated by user tags. I guess this must be the difference that makes it not work in the pro.

The User Tags plugin is not storing users, but only adds tags to their profiles, and displays a list of users in their dinamically generated templates.

Unfortunaley, in the settings box, in the general section under “post types”, it does not show anything related to users.

I tried to understand more about how the plugins work and it seems I somehow managed to understand what is wrong or from where the issues come from as I expressed in my messages, but I still don’t know how to solve this. Do you have any idea how could we make this work?

Or would it be possible for you to add the option to also search in the users of the site (besides the custom post types)? I am thinking this could also be a solution.

Alexandru

Ross Moderator

Hi Alexandru

I would love to incorporate a user search at some point but this is a lot of work and will not be for a while.

What you got from the free version was likely a happy bug, where the URL generated by the free plugin was somehow picked up by your other plugin which then displayed some results – but to be honest it all sounds pretty hacky.

Thanks

Alexandru Rusu

Hi Ross,

This feature would be really useful for sites that have lots of users or marketplace type of sites or social sites and in so many situations. It would really complete your plugin, which is awesome as it is, but it would be ever more so. And it would also fill a gap in the market, lacking currently in this area (I am refering to the existence of such plugins).

And this feature I believe it would also attract more customers for you. I, for instance, would recommend your plugin on the forums of the vendors plugin I use so more people would know about it, since there were also other people looking for this feature.

Alexandru

Alexandru Rusu

I hope this message will reach you even though this topic seems that has been marked as “resolved”:

Would you consider including this feature faster for an amount I would sponsor you with to make it more worth your time? (And this feature would then be available for all customers.)

I don’t have that much budget for this project, but I think it’s worth to try and see if the amount you would consider it would stimulate your efforts would be affordable for me.

Patiently waiting for your answer,
    Alexandru

Ross Moderator

Hey Alexandru

This is exactly the kind of work I love to do 😉 Improving the plugin at the same time as doing some custom work..

However, saying that – I am extremely busy until mid April (and possibly later than that) so I would simply not have time to do anything like this – what timelines are you working to?

Thanks

Alexandru Rusu

Hi Ross,

Sorry about my delay. I was ill in bed for 2 days.

We actually need this as soon as possible, even April would be quite late for us (the time frame we were having in mind was sometime this month, in the next 2 weeks or so).. Are you saying you do not think this will be completed even in April?

But lets say if we would agree on late April as the time this would be completed (even though I highly doubt we will be able to push back so much our release date), can you tell me how much would implementing this feature cost?

And please also tell us an actual date you estimate you would be able to complete this so we can realistically know if we are able to consider this as a solution or not. Because, as I said, the search feature is the only one keeping us from launching the site and we already delayed the release past our first established date so we were looking for a quick soslution.

Thank you for your attention to my request,
    Rusu Alexandru

Ross Moderator

Hey Alexandru

I’m saying I wouldn’t even be able to begin on anything like this until mid April unfortunately.

We have a huge update of the plugin coming out hopefully end of March (v 2.0) which looks like it may be pushed in to April now.

Do you know how hard it would be to integrate a user search into this plugin which is designed only to search posts? I would say it would take easily a month to complete – if not longer with user testing etc – this is a very big feature and would require significant changes to the underlying logic of the plugin – I’m afraid there is no quick or easy solution.

Thanks

Alexandru Rusu

Hi Ross,

Thank you for your honest answer.

Unfortunately, this will be late for us. From what you say completing this feature would take until May or even early June. We are not able to push back our launch date so much and wait for this. So it would be really late for us.

We are now thinking to look into other solutions, like looking for other plugins or for a developer for a custom plugin.

Is it possible to receive a refund since we will not be able to use Search&Filter for our site?

Thank you,
    Rusu Alexandru

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘No results – complex situation’ is closed to new replies.