Support Forums

Looking for support? You can access the support system via your account.

Forums Forums Search & Filter Pro Filter results after selecting a category

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Myrna Ougland

Hi, I’m working on a password-protected website that lists a number of resources in categories such as “Housing”, “Medical”, etc. Once I click on “Housing” I bring up all organizations in that category. At that point I’d like to be able to use Search & Filter Pro to filter my category results by the Advanced Custom Field “Age Group” which contains the checkboxes “Senior”, “Youth and Family” or “All Ages”. But, I’d like to be able to use this same filter on the “Medical” list, “Activities” and all the other category lists we’ve created. Currently if I use that filter and click “Senior” it brings up everything that’s been assigned the ACF field “Senior” even if it’s not in the current category. Is there a way to ask S&F Pro to filter only from the items listed on that page (for example, if I select the category “Housing” the page URL is “https://mysite.org/housing/”)? Fingers crossed, thank you!

Trevor Moderator

If you are using the Post Type Archive display results method, you can use the Template Options -> Enable filtering on Taxonomy Archives? setting.

As long as the taxonomy in question is also in the form (even if hidden from display), and you have also selected the Detect defaults from current page -> Choose which kinds of pages S&F will try to do this on -> Tag, Category & Taxonomy Archives the plugin can do what you want.

Myrna Ougland

Thanks so much for your quick reply. I’m stumbling over “As long as the taxonomy in question is also in the form (even if hidden from display)” — how would I include this in the form? I have a custom post type called “Resources”, so under the “General” settings I’ve selected “Search the following post types: Resources”. I selected “Tag, Category and Taxonomy Archives” for the page. My archive-resources.php now uses the loop; and my form is a checkbox for age group. But, I’m filtering from a “Category” page (which uses a customized loop). If I am in a category list of housing organizations for example, and I click the “Senior” box — even though I have disabled Ajax — I am immediately sent to the “archive-resources.php” but with no results. Ideally I would use Ajax and filter results on the category page — where the organizations are listed — but is that possible? Thank you!

Trevor Moderator

“As long as the taxonomy in question is also in the form (even if hidden from display)”

For example ‘Senior’. Is that a term in Category, or a Taxonomy?

If you add Category, or that Taxonomy as another field in the form, and go to the Senior page, does it autoselect Senior in the field? That is what I mean.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.