Support Forums

The forums are closed and will be removed when we launch our new site.

Looking for support? You can access the support system via your account.

Forums Forums Search & Filter Pro Displaying Description instead of Name for Custom Taxonomy in Dropdown?

Tagged: 

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • paperweight

I have a custom taxonomy which has numbers for names. So the items go from 0001 – 2500. I have 2500 items in the custom taxonomy.

However, for each tag name, I also have a “description”. The descriptions are words like “forest” or “ocean”, etc. So each taxonomy items has a name like “0035” and a description like “ocean”.

I want my users to search based on the custom taxonomy Descriptions, not the name. In the dropdown or checkbox, they only see 0001,0002,0003,etc. Bu that means nothing to them. Instead I want to display forest,ocean,mountain,beach,etc.

How can I select to display the custom taxonomy Description instead of the Name in the search form?

Trevor Moderator

It is possible, but only with custom PHP coding that you (or a third party coder you would hire) would have to do.

You would have to use this filter in your child theme function.php file:

https://searchandfilter.com/documentation/action-filter-reference/#filter-input-object

You would use PHP to fetch an array of ALL the descriptions and terms, and then step through the field options replacing each in turn.

T Lucas

While this thread is a few months old, here is the code for my solution used for a current project. The code below gets the terms for the taxonomy called ‘commodity_codes’ and then updates the Search and Filter field ‘_sft_commodity_codes’ in my search forms by leaving the value intact for the query and simply updating the label to be a concatenation of the term name and the first 21 characters of the description with camel casing.

Thanks to the gist here: https://gist.github.com/rmorse/7b59b45a14b1ca179868

function filter_function_name($input_object, $sfid)
    {
    	if($input_object['name']=='_sft_commodity_codes')
    	{
    		//if we want to filter the options generated, we need to make sure the options variable actually exists before proceeding (its only available to certain field types)
    		if(!isset($input_object['options']))
    		{
    			return $input_object;
    		}

//get the terms for the taxonomy
    		$terms = get_terms('commodity_codes');

//now we know there are options we can loop through each one, and change what we need
    		foreach($input_object['options'] as $option)
    		{
    			foreach($terms as $term)
    			{
    				if($term->name==$option->value)
    				{//we want to change the label for the option "black" - we can feed back in the count number to the label for this field type
    					$option->label = $term->name . ' : ' . ucwords(substr($term->description,0,21));
    				}
    			}
    		}
    	}

return $input_object;
    }
    add_filter('sf_input_object_pre', 'filter_function_name', 10, 2);

Hope this helps others.

— Tom @NPCrowd : https://npcrowd.com

Trevor Moderator

Thanks for sharing Tom. I know others will find that useful. I will close this thread for now, as it is old.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Displaying Description instead of Name for Custom Taxonomy in Dropdown?’ is closed to new replies.