Support Forums

The forums are closed and will be removed when we launch our new site.

Looking for support? You can access the support system via your account.

Forums Forums Search & Filter Pro Category description in search results

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 13 total)
  • J M

Hello, I tried scouring WP Codex and this forum for the answer but couldn’t figure it out, I’m pretty limited in php. My search form has only as filters, and I want to display category descriptions above the results. How to achieve this?

J M
    This reply has been marked as private.
    Trevor Moderator

Do you have an example of what you want it to look like, and are you able to send me a live link/URL to your search page so I can take a look?

J M
    Trevor Moderator

Will you have results only for one single category, or many categroies?

If many, then will the results be sorted by category?

If many, what happens with posts that have more than one category, or do they only ever have one category?

To find the category term chose, see this post:

https://support.searchandfilter.com/forums/topic/search-term-not-showing-on-custom-archive-page/#post-234049

Having found the category term, you then need to refer to the WP Codex for code to fetch the description.

J M

Thank you Trevor,

I should’ve been more specific. There will be only one category at a time chosen, and posts will only have one category. I’ve actually seen this post earlier when I was looking for a solution, but couldn’t wrap my head around it, I’ll try again.

Trevor Moderator

If you have a problem, do get back to me.

J M

Hello again, looks like my issue is very entry level but I’m still having trouble getting the selected category’s description.

I simply added <?php echo category_description(5); ?> into the results.php, so it displays the description of category ID “5”, but obviously this won’t show other categories’ descriptions when they’re selected. I expected it work if I leave the ID number out, but it didn’t. Any ideas?

Trevor Moderator
    J M
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Category description in search results’ is closed to new replies.